Healthy, easy, and nutritious brown rice flakes porridge. Perfect for a quick breakfast anytime of the year.
Brown rice flakes porridge is the perfect breakfast alternative to oats.
They are creamy, soft, and absolutely warming! They are perfect for a warming winter breakfast.
This brown rice flakes porridge recipe take less than 10 minutes to make and can be topped with any breakfast topping you like.
You’ve heard of corn flakes, but have you ever heard of rice flakes?
Rice flakes are flattened grains of rice.
The rice grains are first partially boiled and then they are flattened. They make a great alternative to oats if you are looking for something different.
How This Differs From Traditional Rice Porridge
Unlike traditional rice porridge recipes, this rice flake porridge uses rice flakes.
Usually rice porridge recipes use rice grains such as arborio rice, basmati rice, or jasmine rice.
Both rice porridge and rice flakes porridge can be sweet or savory, depending on the recipe.
This recipe for brown rice flakes porridge is savory.
But, you can top it with sweet toppings such as jams, compote, or sweet spreads to make it into a sweet breakfast.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It’s gluten free and vegan friendly.
- Only has 2 main ingredients.
- You can top this porridge with anything you like. Or you can simply enjoy it plain.
- Ready in under 10 minutes.
Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $1.12
Please note that below is a guide for some of the ingredients we used in the recipe. The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
- Rice flakes You can use any kind of rice flakes that are available to you. E.g. brown rice flakes, white rice flakes.
- Milk of choice
This recipe for rice flakes porridge serves 1. The ingredient quantities can be easily multiplied to suit how many serves you need to make.
Step 1 - Places rice flakes and milk in small to medium size saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir occasionally.
Step 2 - Simmer and stir the rice flakes for 2 to 3 minutes or until rice flakes become soft. Serve.
Tips for Success
After removing your rice flakes from your saucepan, soak your saucepan in water. This will make it easier to clean.
Substitutions / Variations
If you are looking for a dairy free alternative, simply use a plant-based milk alternative.
You could enjoy this cosy breakfast as is without any toppings, or you could take it to a whole new level.
Some topping ideas include:
- Fresh berries, such as blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries.
- Fruit salad and fresh fruit, such as banana or blueberries
- Shredded coconut.
- Toasted nuts such as pistachios or almonds.
- Jams or spreads such as plum jam or strawberry jams.
- Syrup or biscoff spread.
It is best to eat the porridge once it has been made. But, if you have leftovers you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for 1 to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Made this recipe? Let us know how it went in the comments below! We'd love to hear how it turned out.
More Breakfast Recipes
Brown Rice Flakes Porridge
- ½ cup (40 grams, 1.41 ounces) brown rice flakes
- ¾ cup milk
- Places rice flakes and milk in small to medium size saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir occasionally.
- Simmer and stir the rice flakes for 2 to 3 minutes or until rice flakes become soft. Serve.