This recipe for rice bubble marshmallow slice is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Kids and adults alike will love this simple and delicious recipe.
It's great for picnics, parties, kids lunch boxes, or just a sweet treat.
Indulge in the delectable delight of this irresistible rice bubble marshmallow slice, a true showstopper that is guaranteed to leave your guests in awe at your next gathering.
Whether it's a lively party, sun-kissed picnic, or delightful morning tea, kids and adults alike are sure to love this rice bubble slice.
Its packed full of flavor, quick and easy to make, and you probably already have most of the ingredients.
Unlike other rice bubble slice recipes, this recipe provides the perfect balance of sweetness and is not overly sweet.
This recipe can easily be doubled to make a larger quantity.
You can also experiment with different toppings or enjoy it plain.
I like to drizzle the slice with melted chocolate and sprinkle hundreds and thousands on top.
That way you can make a chocolate marshmallow rice bubble slice.
What Holds This Slice Together?
The reason this slice sticks together so well is the combination of melted marshmallows and butter.
These ingredients act as a glue to hold the rice bubbles together whilst adding flavor to the slice.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This recipe is super simple to make, and you can even get your kids involved!
This rice bubble marshmallow slice is a one pot recipe which means there is less mess to clean up.
What’s more, there are only 5 ingredients used in this recipe.
All of these ingredients are budget friendly, which makes it perfect if you need to make a large batch for a party or afternoon tea.
This slice is great to bring for pot lucks, picnics, to make as a last minute dessert, or even special occasions like birthday parties, Halloween, or Christmas.
Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $6.15, or $0.38 a slice
Please note that below is a guide for some of the ingredients we used in the recipe. The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
- Rice Bubbles (Krispies)
- Marshmallows (white preferred): If you are unable to get white marshmallows, you can use pink. Bear in mind that the final slice will be pinker in color. If you are using jumbo (campfire) marshmallows, be sure to cut them into small pieces before using them.
- Butter: Cut your butter into cubes so that it is easier to melt when you are cooking.
- Chocolate chips, to garnish, melted: The chocolate can be melted after the slice is made. It is used to drizzle on top of the slice to make it look even nicer and add a different flavor. If you can’t get chocolate chips, you can use cooking chocolate buttons.
- Sprinkles: To garnish. You can also use chocolate rock sprinkles or chocolate sprinkles if you want.
Step 1 - Grease and line a slice tin (13 cm x 26 cm x 2 cm / 5.12 inches x 10.24 inches x 0.79 inches) with parchment paper (baking paper) on the bottom and sides. Set aside.
Step 2 - Heat the butter and marshmallows over low to medium heat in a medium saucepan.
If you are using jumbo marshmallows, be sure to cut them into small pieces before adding them to the pan.
Stir constantly until the marshmallows and butter is completely melted. Remove from heat.
Step 3 - Mix the rice bubbles through the butter and marshmallow mixture. You will need to work a bit quickly as the slice will start to set once taken off the heat.
Step 4 - Pour mixture into prepared slice tin. Press down the mixture using the back of a spoon or spatula to flatten the top and make it even.
If you want the top of the slice to be smooth, simply place parchment paper on top and smooth the slice with your hands. Allow the slice to cool.
Step 5 - In the meantime, place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Place in microwave and heat until chocolate until almost all the chocolate is melted.
Carefully remove from the microwave and stir through the chocolate until there are no lumps.
If you find your chocolate is not drizzling very well, heat in the microwave for a few more seconds. This will make it easier to drizzle.
I found I had to put my chocolate in the microwave for at least 1 minute before it started to melt.
Step 6 - Once the chocolate is melted, drizzle the melted chocolate on top of the slice using a spoon. You can also use a small piping bag to drizzle it over the top.
Step 7 - Place sprinkles on top of the chocolate before the chocolate sets.
Step 8 - Allow to cool until the slice is at room temperature and the chocolate is set on top.
Step 9 - Remove the slice from the tin and cut into bite size pieces.
Tips for Success
- Once you have pressed the slice into the prepared tin, begin to melt your chocolate.
- Make sure you cut your butter into small pieces. This will make it easier to melt.
- Measure out all your ingredients before you start. This will speed up the cooking process.
- Soak your saucepan in water after using it. This will make it easier to clean.
Substitutions / Variations
To make this slice dairy-free, you can substitute butter for coconut oil or dairy-free margarine. This will change the taste of the final slice.
You can drizzle any kind of chocolate you like on top. Whether it be white, dark, or milk. You could even leave out the chocolate drizzle altogether and just put some sprinkles on top.
The marshmallow slice lasts at room temperature in airtight container for up to 1 week. It can be frozen for 1 to 2 months. To defrost the slice, bring it to room temperature naturally until no longer frozen.
Rice bubbles are puffed grains of white rice. Rice bubbles are also known as puffed rice.
They are crunchy and are low in fat and are high in iron.
Made this recipe? Let us know how it went in the comments below! We'd love to hear how it turned out.
Rice Bubble Marshmallow Slice
- 2 ½ cups (75 gams, 2.65 ounces) rice bubbles (Krispies)
- 125 grams (4.41 ounces) marshmallows (white preferred)
- 35 grams (1.23 ounces) butter cubed
- 2 tablespoons (26 grams, 0.92 ounces) chocolate chips melted, to garnish
- Sprinkles to garnish
- Grease and line a slice tin (13cm x 26 cm x 2 cm / 5.12 inches x 10.24 inches x 0.79 inches) with parchment paper on the bottom and sides.
- In a medium to large saucepan, heat the butter and marshmallows over low to medium heat. If you are using jumbo marshmallows, be sure to cut them into small pieces before adding them to the pan. Stir constantly until the marshmallows and butter is completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Mix the rice bubbles through the butter and marshmallow mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared slice tin. Press down the mixture using the back of a spoon or spatula to flatten the top and make it even. If you want the top of the slice to be smooth, simply place parchment paper on top and smooth the slice with your hands.
- In a microwave safe bowl, place the chocolate chips. Place in microwave and heat until just melted.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the melted chocolate on top of the slice.
- Place sprinkles on top of the chocolate.
- Allow to cool until the slice is at room temperature and the chocolate is set on top.
- Cut the slice into the size of your preference. I recommend cutting it into 4 cm x 7 cm (1.57 inches x 2.76 inches) slices. This will make about 16 slices.
- To make it easier to cut, dip your knife in hot water.
- You can use a piping bag to drizzle the chocolate over the slice if you prefer.