Delicious, filling, cinnamon banana overnight rice flakes. A great way to start the day.
Cinnamon banana overnight rice flakes are a great alternative to overnight oats.
It’s just as easy to make, and is a great way to prepare for the next day ahead of time.
This delicious breakfast recipe tastes great on its own, or can be topped with some of your favorite toppings.
You could top these overnight rice flakes with fresh fruits, such as sliced banana or berries, Greek yogurt, a fruit compote or coulis, or even chopped nuts such as walnuts or pistachios.
What are rice flakes?
Rice flakes are made when rice is partly cooked by boiling. Then the rice is flattened into dry flakes.
There are a many different kinds of rice flakes. From brown rice flakes, white rice flakes, and even black rice flakes.
Any kind of rice flakes can be used for this overnight rice recipe.
Rice flakes can be used for cereals, snacks, or even as a dessert.
The reason rice flakes work so well in this recipe is because they are dry.
When you leave the rice flakes in liquid, such as milk and yogurt, overnight, the rice flakes absorb the liquid and become soft.
What makes this different from overnight oats?
The way you make overnight rice flakes is the same way that you make overnight oats. Both recipes are super simple to make.
The only difference between the two is one uses oats, while the other uses rice flakes.
As with overnight oats, you can make any flavor combination you want.
For example, you could serve your overnight rice flakes with fresh fruit or even top it with yoghurt and honey.
Unlike overnight oats, overnight rice flakes taste the best on the day it is ready to eat (overnight).
If you leave the rice flakes any longer, they start to become dry and do not have a very pleasant texture.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- A great meal prep recipe that is easy to make.
- This cinnamon banana overnight rice flakes are a great alternative to overnight oats.
- Perfect for a breakfast on the go.
- Top with anything you like; such as chopped nuts, fresh fruit and berries.
- Quick to make.
Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $1.70
Please note that below is a guide for some of the ingredients we used in the recipe. The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
- Rice flakes
- Milk of choice
- Greek yogurt: or a plant based yogurt
- Chia seeds or basil seeds
- Ground Cinnamon
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
Step One: Remove the skin of your banana. In a small bowl, mash the banana. Set aside.
Step Two: In a mixing bowl, place the rice flakes, milk of choice, yogurt, seeds, ground cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and mashed banana.
Mix until well combined.
Step Three: Taste for flavor and adjust to your liking by adding more vanilla or maple syrup.
Step Four: Transfer the mixture to a glass, breakfast bowl, or mason jar. Seal and store in the refrigerator overnight.
Step Five: Serve plain or with toppings of your choice.
Top these cinnamon banana overnight rice flakes with extra slices of banana, other fresh fruit such as strawberries or apple, or even chopped nuts such as walnuts or pecans.
This overnight rice flakes recipe is best served the day after it is made. Store in an air tight glass, mason jar, or container of choice.
Made this recipe? Let us know how it went in the comments below! We'd love to hear how it turned out.
Cinnamon Banana Overnight Rice Flakes
- 1 small (60 grams, 2.11 ounces) banana
- ½ cup (45 grams, 1.59 ounces) rice flakes
- ½ cup (120 ml/grams) milk of choice
- ¼ cup (60 grams, 2.12 ounces) Greek yogurt, or plant based yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or basil seeds
- Pinch of ground cinnamon about ⅛ teaspoon, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or to taste
- Sliced banana
- Greek yogurt or plant based yogurt
- Nuts chopped and toasted
- Remove the skin of your banana. In a small bowl, mash the banana. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, place the rice flakes, milk of choice, yogurt, seeds, ground cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and mashed banana. Mix until well combined.
- Taste for flavor and adjust to your liking by adding more vanilla or maple syrup.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass, breakfast bowl, or mason jar. Seal and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Serve plain or with toppings of your choice.