This creamy coconut rice pudding is a delightful dessert that combines the familiar comfort of rice with the exotic richness of coconut.
When you taste it for the first time, you'll be captivated by the comforting coconut flavor, gentle sweetness, and the inviting scent of vanilla.
Coconut rice pudding is a delicious and simple to make rice pudding.
The infusion of coconut milk into the rice creates a delightful balance between the classic comfort of rice pudding and the exotic allure of coconut, making every spoonful a delightful experience.
It's a dish that's as comforting as it is indulgent, making it a perfect choice for both seasoned home cooks and beginners in the kitchen.
This rice pudding with coconut milk goes great served both hot or cold. And is a versatile crowd-pleaser and can be enjoyed on various occasions.
It's great to serve as a comforting dessert on a cold winter evening, as the creamy warmth of the pudding provides a sense of coziness.
Additionally, it's perfect for summer gatherings and barbecues, where the tropical coconut flavor adds a refreshing twist to your dessert menu.
Or, if you are looking for something different to enjoy for breakfast, this rice pudding is perfect.
If you are after some other delicious rice puddings, you might like to try Portuguese arroz doce, rice pudding with oat milk, flaked rice pudding, Turkish rice pudding (sutlac), or Colombian arroz con leche.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Coconut rice pudding is quick to make.
- This recipe is a one pot dish.
- This rice pudding is easy to make.
- Customize this rice pudding to suit your tastes, add your favorite toppings, adjust the sweetness to your liking.
- Serve this coconut rice pudding at different occasions, such as a light dessert, pot lucks, Christmas, parties, or even enjoy it for breakfast.
- This coconut rice pudding is great for meal prep.
- This coconut rice pudding is vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free.
Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $3.15 or $0.78 a serve
Please note that below is a guide for some of the ingredients we used in the recipe. The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
- Arborio Rice: You do not need to rinse your rice before cooking.
- Coconut Milk
- White Sugar
- Vanilla Essence
- Shredded Coconut: Lightly toasted, to garnish.
This recipe for coconut rice pudding serves 4. The ingredient quantities can easily be adjusted to suit how many serves you need to make.
Step One: In a medium sized saucepan, place the rice, water, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.
Step Two: Place saucepan over medium to high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once at a boil reduce to a simmer.
Step Three: Simmer the liquid for 30 to 35 minutes or until the rice is soft and tender. Stir occasionally so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan. See note 1.
Step Four: Once the rice is tender, turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly. Serve warm or once completely cool, transfer to the fridge and refrigerate overnight to serve cold. Serve with lightly tasted shredded coconut (optional).
Tips for Success
It is best not to leave your saucepan unattended as the milk can boil over. If you find that your liquid is rising, remove the pot from the heat and gently stir the mixture. Then place over heat again.
Substitutions / Variations
Add some pandan essence or pandan leaf before cooking your pudding for a pandan coconut rice pudding.
While this coconut rice pudding is delcious on it’s own, you might like to serve it with:
- Cubes of fresh fruit, such as mango, peaches, or nectarines
- Chopped nuts, such as almonds or pistachios
- Enjoy this rice pudding hot or cold
- Drizzle some warm caramel sauce over the top or even chocolate sauce
- Serve with a fruit compote
- Crushed graham crackers, amaretti cookies, or shortbread biscuits.
- With some milk poured over the top.
This rice pudding with coconut milk can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 to 3 days. It can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
Made this recipe? Let us know how it went in the comments below! We'd love to hear how it turned out.
Coconut Rice Pudding
- 1 cup (190 grams, 6.70 ounces) arborio rice
- 2 ¼ cup (562 ml/grams, 19.82 ounces) water
- 1 cup (250 ml/grams, 8.81 ounces) coconut milk
- 60 grams (2.12 ounces) white sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla essence
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (10 grams, 0.35 ounces) shredded coconut, Lightly toasted to garnish, optional
- In a medium sized saucepan, place the rice, water, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Place saucepan over medium to high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once at a boil reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the liquid for 30 to 35 minutes or until the rice is soft and tender. Stir occasionally so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan. See note 1.
- Once the rice is tender, turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly. Serve warm or once completely cool, transfer to the fridge and refrigerate overnight to serve cold. Serve with lightly tasted shredded coconut (optional).