Creamy, comforting, and heart-warming flaked rice pudding. Great for a winter warmer or a cozy dessert.
Flaked rice pudding is perfect for a quick winter warmer. It’s a creamy, rich, and cozy rice pudding made with rice flakes.
This rice flakes pudding can also be served as a refreshing summer treat by eating it cold.
The addition of dried fruit and nuts adds a nice texture and flavor to the pudding.
What’s more, you could top your pudding with other ingredients such as honey, biscoff, fresh fruit, cinnamon, or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This makes this pudding recipe even more delicious!
This recipe for rice pudding is a bit different from other rice pudding recipes. This is because it uses rice flakes (flaked rice).
Most recipes for rice puddings use a short grain rice such as arborio rice.
What are rice flakes?
Rice flakes are made when rice is partly cooked by boiling. Then the rice is flattened into dry flakes.
There are a many different kinds of rice flakes. From brown rice flakes, white rice flakes, and even black rice flakes. Any kind of rice flakes can be used for this overnight rice recipe.
Rice flakes can be used for cereals, snacks, or even as a dessert.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Super quick to make and tastes delicious!
- Besides the rice flakes, you are most likely to have all the ingredients in your pantry already.
- Only takes about 5 minutes to cook.
- This rice pudding is a one pot dish, meaning there is less to clean up.
- This flaked rice pudding is effortless to make and is no fuss.
- Enjoy it plain or topped with your favorite fruits and nuts.
Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $3.85, or $1.93 a serve
Please note that below is a guide for some of the ingredients we used in the recipe. The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
- Rice flakes
- Milk of choice
- Egg: Beaten. This makes the rice pudding creamy.
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Dried fruit of choice: Roughly chopped.
- Nuts: Roughly chopped. I like to use chopped almonds and chopped pistachios.
This flaked rice pudding serves 2. The quantities for this recipe can easily be multiplied to suit how many serves you need to make.
Step 1 - In a medium saucepan, combine the rice flakes, ¾ cup milk, and salt over medium heat.
Bring to a boil and then simmer. Cook and stir until the mixture starts to become thicker. This could take 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 2 - Add remaining ¼ cup milk, beaten egg, and white sugar to the rice. Stir to combine for 1 to 2 minutes or until the egg is cooked.
When you add the egg, gently stir the pudding constantly until the egg is cooked.
Step 3 - Remove saucepan from heat and add the butter and vanilla extract. Stir until the butter is melted and well combined.
Mix through dried fruit and nuts. Serve hot or cold.
This is best eaten on the day it is made. However, if you have any leftovers, you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for 1 to 2 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop over low to medium heat.
Made this recipe? Let us know how it went in the comments below! We'd love to hear how it turned out.
More Sweet Recipes
Flaked Rice Pudding
- ¾ cup (65 grams, 2.29 ounces) rice flakes
- 1 cup milk of choice, divided
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup (50 grams,1.76 ounces) white sugar or to taste
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams, 0.53 ounces) butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (essence)
- 3 tablespoons (40 grams, 1.41 ounces) dried fruit of choice, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons (20 grams, 0.71 ounces) nuts roughly chopped
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice flakes, ¾ cup milk, and salt over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then simmer.Cook and stir until the mixture starts to become thicker.
- Add remaining ¼ cup milk, beaten egg, and white sugar to the rice. Stir to combine for 1 to 2 minutes or until the egg is cooked.*
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the butter and vanilla extract. Stir until the butter is melted and well combined. Mix through dried fruit and nuts. Serve hot or cold.