Warming and comforting vegetable rice soup. This hearty dish is packed full of flavor and is easy to make.
Vegetable rice soup is a simple yet delicious dish that is great to enjoy all year round. It’s a comforting and warm bowl of goodness.
Whether served on it’s own or as a side dish, this rice soup recipe is sure to warm the soul.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This recipe for vegetable rice soup is easy and versatile to make.
- Customize this simple soup recipe to your tastes and preferences.
- Vegetable rice soup is a comforting and soothing soup. It’s perfect to enjoy on a chilly day or when you’re feeling under the weather.
- This recipe is budget friendly.
Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $6.75, or $1.12 a serve
Please note that below is a guide for some of the ingredients we used in the recipe. The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Butter: You can skip this if you want to make this recipe vegan.
- Brown Onion
- Chicken or vegetable stock: You could also use water.
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Dried Italian herbs or parsley
- Cooked Rice: Such as arborio rice or jasmine rice.
- Salt and Pepper
This vegetable rice soup serves 4 to 6. The ingredient quantities can easily be adjusted to suit how many serves you need to make.
In a large deep saucepan, heat the extra virgin olive oil and butter (if using), over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring for about 4 to 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the stock (or water), canned tomatoes, potatoes, and dried herbs to the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce the heat to bring it to a simmer, place a lid on the saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove lid and add the cauliflower. Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked through.
Add the cooked rice, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off heat and serve.
Substitutions / Variations
- Give your vegetable rice soup a Mediterranean twist by adding ingredients like diced tomatoes, chickpeas, artichoke hearts, and a blend of Mediterranean herbs such as oregano, thyme, and rosemary.
- Spice up your vegetable rice soup with a touch of Mexican flair. Include ingredients like black beans, corn kernels, diced tomatoes with green chilies, and a combination of Mexican spices such as cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika. Top it off with fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime, and a dollop of creamy avocado for a satisfying and zesty twist.
- Add cannellini beans, chopped kale, diced tomatoes, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Season it with Italian herbs like basil and thyme, and finish with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese.
You might like to enjoy this vegetable rice soup with:
- Bread and Butter
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich: The combination of melted cheese and crispy bread complements the comforting flavors of the soup.
- Fresh Salad: Toss together a mix of fresh greens, such as lettuce or spinach, and add a variety of colorful vegetables like cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and shredded carrots. Drizzle with a light vinaigrette dressing or a squeeze of lemon juice to complement the flavors of the soup.
This vegetable and rice soup can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
It can also be frozen for up to 2 to 3 months.
To reheat, use a microwave or the stovetop. If you find your vegetable rice soup has thickened, add a little bit of stock or water and adjust the seasoning to taste.
Yes, it is recommended to cook your rice before you add it to soup.
Adding uncooked rice directly to the soup may result in uneven cooking and can affect the consistency of the soup
When it comes to choosing rice for soup, it's best to opt for varieties that have a higher starch content, as they tend to release more starch into the soup, making it thicker and creamier.
Some popular choices for rice in soup include medium-grain rice, long-grain rice, and arborio rice (commonly used in risotto).
It is recommended that you slightly undercook your rice before adding it to your soup. This is because the rice will continue to soft and cook when added to the soup.
If you have rice that is already fully cooked, add it at the last minute so that it doesn’t cook for much further. Otherwise you may end up with mushy and overcooked rice.
Yes, short-grain rice can be a good option for soup. Short-grain rice has a higher starch content, which contributes to a creamier texture and thicker consistency in soups.
It tends to be stickier when cooked, making it a suitable choice for soups where you desire a heartier and more comforting meal.
Made this recipe? Let us know how it went in the comments below! We'd love to hear how it turned out.
Vegetable Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 28 grams (1 ounce) butter (skip to make this recipe vegan)
- 200 grams (7 ounces) brown onion, roughly chopped
- 150 grams (5.30 ounces) carrot, diced
- 50 grams (1.76 ounces) celery, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 3 cups (750ml/grams, 26.46 ounces) of chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
- 400 grams (14 ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 140 grams (4.93 ounces) potato, diced into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs or dried parsley
- 150 grams (5.30 ounces) cauliflower, roughly chopped into small pieces
- 1 ½ cup (180 grams, 6.35 ounces) cooked rice, such as arborio or jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In a large deep saucepan, heat the extra virgin olive oil and butter (if using), over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring for about 4 to 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the stock (or water), canned tomatoes, potatoes, and dried herbs to the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce the heat to bring it to a simmer, place a lid on the saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and add the cauliflower. Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked through.
- Add the cooked rice, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off heat and serve.