These irresistible puffed rice cereal bars are a burst of delight.
Crunchy and sweet, these cereal bars are a great way to start your day or snack on throughout the day.
A symphony of textures, these puffed rice cereal bars are light and delicious.
If you are looking for something else to enjoy as a snack or something new to add to your breakfast routine, then you must try these cereal bars made with puffed rice.
Every bite offers a delightful combination of flavors. With puffed rice mixed with oats, dried fruit, and seeds, to name a few ingredients, these bars are nutritious and easy to make.
Puffed rice cereal bars are perfect for on the go snacking, dessert, and are great for all ages.
Simple to make, but satisfying, these puffed rice cereal bars will keep you coming back for more.
These puffed rice cereal bars can also be made in advance which makes them great for on the go snacks or a quick breakfast.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- These puffed rice cereal bars are quick and easy to make.
- Customize these cereal bars to your liking. Add your favorite mix-ins, like dried fruits or even chocolate chips.
- Great for a lunchbox snack, after school treat, or even a light breakfast.
- Puffed rice cereal bars are portable and ideal for on the go snacking, whether for work, outdoor activities, or school.
- These puffed rice cereal bars are budget friendly.
Cost To Make
Estimated cost = $2.10, or $0.13 a bar
Please note that below is a guide for some of the ingredients we used in the recipe. The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
- Puffed Rice: Also known as rice Krispies or rice bubbles.
- Old Fashioned Oats: Rolled oats.
- Pepitas Seeds: Pumpkin seeds.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Dried Fruit of Choice: Like dried apricots, raisins. Optional.
- Butter: Melted
- Honey: Softened
Step One: Grease and line a slice tin (17cm x 27 cm, 6.69 inches x 10.62 inches) with parchment paper on the bottom and sides. Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F).
Step Two: In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the puffed rice, oats, pepitas seeds, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and dried fruit.
Step Three: In a separate bowl combine the melted butter and honey. Then mix the honey and butter with the dry ingredients.
Step Four: Place mixture into prepared slice tin. Press gently down to flatten the top of the mixture. You can smooth the top of the mixture by using the back of a spoon or spatula.
Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Step Five: Allow the slice to cool completely in slice tin before removing. Once cool cut into bars the size of your liking.
Tips for Success
You will need to work quickly when placing the mixture in the pan. This is because it starts to set as soon as it starts cooling. But be careful not to burnt yourself when doing this.
If you want your cereal bars to be thicker you could use a slightly smaller slice tin.
Substitutions / Variations
- Add a mixture of different dried fruits like cranberries, apricots, or raisins, along with chopped nuts such as almonds, pecans, or cashews.
- Mix in some chocolate chips or cocoa powder to make chocolate puffed rice cereal bars. Or, you could dip the cereal bars in melted chocolate.
- Peanut butter puffed rice cereal bars: Instead of honey, you could use a nut butter like peanut butter or almond butter to bind the ingredients together.
- Coconut puffed rice cereal bars: Add some shredded coconut into the mixture.
- Crumble the cereal bars and layer them with yogurt and fresh fruits for a delectable parfait.
- Ice Cream Topping: Use crumbled bars as a topping for your favorite ice cream to add a delightful crunch.
- Dipping in Chocolate: Dip the bars partially in melted chocolate.
- Serve the bars alongside a cup of tea or coffee for a satisfying afternoon treat.
These puffed rice cereal bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to 7 days. You can store them at room temperature.
Some snacks that can be made from puffed rice include puffed rice cereal bars, puffed rice trail mix, puffed rice crispy treats, puffed rice energy balls, puffed rice granola bars, puffed rice chivda (savory Indian snack).
Essentially puffed rice and rice Krispies are the same. Rice Krispies are a branded cereal made from rice and sugar.
For this recipe you can use rice Krispies (rice bubbles).
Made this recipe? Let us know how it went in the comments below! We'd love to hear how it turned out.
Puffed Rice Cereal Bars
- 60 grams (2.12 ounces) puffed rice (rice krispies (bubbles))
- ¾ cup (75 grams, 2.65 ounces) old fashioned oats (rolled oats)
- ¼ cup (40 grams, 1.41 ounces) pepitas seeds (pumpkin seeds)
- Pinch of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg or to taste
- 3 tablespoons (40 grams, 1.41 ounces) dried fruit of choice roughly chopped
- 35 grams (1.24 ounces) butter melted
- 3 ½ tablespoons (74 grams, 2.61 ounces) honey softened
- Grease and line a slice tin (17cm x 27 cm, 6.69 inches x 10.62 inches) with parchment paper on the bottom and sides. Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F).
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the puffed rice, oats, pepitas seeds, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and dried fruit.
- In a separate bowl combine the melted butter and honey. Then mix the honey and butter with the dry ingredients.
- Place mixture into prepared slice tin. Press gently down to flatten the top of the mixture. You can smooth the top of the mixture by using the back of a spoon or spatula. Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Allow the slice to cool completely in slice tin before removing. Once cool cut into bars the size of your liking.
- Melt 250 grams (8.81 ounces) of chocolate chips and then pour the melted chocolate over the top of your puffed rice cereal bars while it is still in the slice tin after baking.
- Before the chocolate sets you could sprinkle some extra chocolate bits, chopped peanuts, or even hundreds and thousands.